Digital Transformation and Mobile First – Complex? Costly? Disruptive?
All too often such grand concepts as Digital Transformation and Mobile First bring with them a complexity, cost and disruption which can make even the most optimistic of business leaders wonder whether they are worth the effort.
So what are they and how are they likely to impact your organization? Is there anything you can do to alleviate the time, effort and cost involved in implementing such far-reaching ideas? The purpose of this short article is to help you understand what is involved when the CEO comes back from some conference and announces that your organization will be Digitally Transformed by implementing Mobile First!
According to Wikipedia, Digital Transformation is “the changes associated with the application of digital technology in all aspects of human activity “ whilst Mobile First is “an approach to web design aimed at allowing desktop webpages to be viewed in response to the size of the device “. A recent study done by Forrester – “ Leading Digital Business Transformation, March 2016” – makes the following points:
- Businesses with a mature digital strategy are rare
- Those who do have a mature digital strategy are likely to find this is driven by the CEO
- Customer Experience is the primary key measure for digital transformation initiatives
- Cultural and organizational issues are key transformation challenges for all businesses
- Digital is not a destination but a journey that requires businesses to be agile
With Mobile First there are currently no independent studies focused on this topic but most businesses would probably agree with the statement that “Mobile First represents a change in traditional IT development practice which in place of seeking to implement new systems internally using traditional PC based approaches is now pushing mobile app development demands to the head of the queue”.
This fundamental shift in internal IT resourcing is likely to lead to significant issues whilst the organization undergoes such a change in priorities, indeed a recent report by Gartner – http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/3076817 – makes the claim that as early as next year the demand for mobile app development resources will grow by a factor of 5 and will outstrip the ability of all but a small minority of IT departments to respond to business demands for such apps.
Luckily there is some good news!
Those companies who have successfully implemented a Mobile First Digital Transformation policy share some common characteristics according to Forrester, namely:
- They have a clear digital vision and ownership of the strategy at CEO level
- They have established a digital first culture within their operations with staff actively engaged in increasing empathy for customer needs and desires
- They Think Big: Start Small : Act Swiftly – Digital business must become the new way of being for your organization but according to Forrester you should start with a prototyping approach and gradually develop the momentum for wholesale change – we feel there is a better alternative for all organizations through the implementation of our 2Go™ Enterprise Applications Mobility Layer technology (EnAML for short) but more about that in a moment!
- They used customer journey mapping to set priorities – in other words focus on what would bring increased value to customers quickest and the resultant positive impact upon your customer satisfaction levels should be self evident!
The other good news is that there is an approach which can dramatically reduce the time, effort and cost to implement Mobile First across your business and so for a key ingredient in Digitally Transforming your business – this is the 2Go™ EnAML technology which is helping organizations to establish a rapid implementation of mobile device based fully functional access to all of their enterprise applications regardless of which vendor supplied them, how much they have been modified, whether or not they use ‘modern’ technology or are so-called ‘legacy’ systems and can accelerate your Mobile First Digital Transformation within days!
Combining the advantages of leaving your data within the powerful datacenters you use to ‘crunch the numbers’ together with fully encrypted streaming of content to devices running a single native app which provides enhanced user efficiency through such features as thumbnail and icon based navigation including favorites, seamless switching between multiple applications, custom keyboards including Function and Control keys deployed onto the devices to ease user transition from legacy applications, user-definable, user-selectable, user-mappable custom gestures to speed up users interaction with the underlying applications through to voice recognition based interaction and data capture facilities which could provide efficiency improvements of up to 300% all the while maintaining full security of your critical information as no data is ever stored on the device!
With the ability to conduct Proof Of Value evaluations at low or no cost, this unique approach is one which should help your business achieve Digital Transformation with sharp reductions in time, effort and budgetary cost – so what’s not to like?